Friday, September 28, 2007

A little difficult

Well, I got down to the task of bending Dylan's Casio today, and it proved to be a tiny bit more difficult than I anticipated. The first surprise, was that it opened out, which makes working rather precarious. I figured out what the trouble was with the batteries. As you can plainly see the spring was bent behind a piece of plastic. I bent it back, and will most likely fix it so that won't happen again. The speaker wires were holding me up, so I un/de-soldered them from the speaker and moved it out of the case, and then reattached it.

You can see in the third picture that I had all of the parts exposed, but the side I want to solder all my wires, and what not, to is on the other side of the board. In the fourth picture you see that once the board is unscrewed, and the underside exposed, all of the switches (on/off, volume, and accompaniment volume) are now rendered useless, making the keyboard rather usless.

I spent a while trying to figure that one out. I tried to follow the circuit to soldering points and then hard wire the switches closed, but that didn't work. Then I realized that the black points that the switches connect probably act as resistors for some reason, so I added resistors to my hard wiring scheme, and it worked.

The last picture shows the working keyboard. The volume switch must be engaged for any sound to be heard, but instead of hard wiring the switch closed I just took the top part of the switch out, laid it across the connections, and put a pair of pliers on top. It does the job.

0 comments:

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

Preposterous - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008